Sunday, August 26, 2007

Amish Friendship Bread

My sister in law, Martha (not real name), gave me a ziploc bag with amish friendship bread starter batter. After ten days of mashing the batter in the bag and keeping the air out of it, you add flour, milk and sugar, then divide it evenly into 4 batches.

Three are meant to be given away and one is to keep to make two loaves of bread. I kept two batches and am in the process of making four loaves of bread (second batch of two loaves just went in at 11 p.m.!!). We are visiting friends in Vermont over this coming weekend, so I thought it would be nice to take a loaf or two with us. The recipe clearly states that the batter shouldn't be mixed in a metal mixing bowl. I called Martha and asked if that meant you couldn't use a mixer either. She used a wooden spoon, so I decided I better not attempt the mixer. I decided to make Alyssa proud and use my pampered chef whisk; she always gives me a rough time that I don't use it enough. As I was almost done mixing all the wetter ingredients, I thought, you fool....if you shouldn't be using a metal bowl or metal mixing paddles, I bet I shouldn't be using a METAL whisk....duh!! At that point, there wasn't much I could do about it, so we'll just have to see how it turns out.

I've taken the first two loaves out and they LOOK fine, hopefully they'll taste good, too! Two down and two to go!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

r those raisins? i'm proud of you too for using some of those p.chef gadgets you have! i was gonna have to take them off your hands soon! LOL

Michele said...

They are chocolate chips. The recipe says you can add chocolate chips, raisins or nuts....