Thursday, June 21, 2007

Wisdom-less


So....I've had two wisdom teeth that have been cracked and broken off for quite a while, but being the chicken that I am, didn't schedule an appointment to have them extracted. Big mistake! About two days ago, I developed a tolerable tooth ache; by Wednesday AM, I was pretty miserable. I made an emergency appointment at the dentist, who put me on an antibiotic, gave me Tylenol with Codeine and urged me to have my wisdom teeth out in the next week.

My discomfort was tolerable yesterday during the day, but by day's end yesterday, I was miserable. I slept downstairs last night, so I could sleep sitting up (less throbbing), and alternated an ice pack with a heating pad throughout the night, hoping one of those would provide some relief. I think the best sleep I got was from 6 to 9 this am.

As soon as I got up, I called the oral surgeon to schedule an appointment, I assumed for a consult, at which time they would schedule the appointment for the extractions. After I gave her my demographics and insurance information, she asked if I was in pain. I quickly said, "YES!" She asked me if I had had anything to eat yet, which I hadn't, other than to take a sip of orange juice to take my antibiotic. They were kind enough to schedule me for today, in fact as we were talking at 10:10 a.m. she asked if I could be there by 10:45!

Everyone was very nice, and once they called me back (We sat out in the waiting room for over an hour...), everything was over with in about 35 mins. When I was called back, Alyssa left to go across the street to the mall to kill time. She said they called her within 25 mins to come back and pick me up.

Beyond them taking my blood pressure, inserting the IV, and putting an oxygen mask over my nose, I don't remember a thing! They extracted the three wisdom teeth (I had one removed many years ago....should have had them all done then....) without difficulty. Next thing they were walking me over to a lounge chair to sit in until Alyssa came. They gave me directions, most of which I don't remember, and also a tshirt as a gift! I saw it on the kitchen table awhile ago and asked Alyssa where it came from!!

I'm feeling OK, don't have much pain (nothing compared to last night!) and am alternating a bag of frozen corn on both sides of my cheeks. My big problem right now is that I am STARVING!! I haven't had anything to eat since about 6 p.m. and I can only eat soft foods today and tomorrow! And Kurt sat right in front of me eating his turkey BBQ and my home made delish macaroni salad! How rude!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess there's something to losing some of our wisdom in our teens rather than waiting until we are older:) Hope you're feeling better soon!

sajmom said...

I completely sympathize! Having had three out in Sept. I remember only too well how that felt! Did you go to a special place that they put you to sleep for it? That is really awesome that they took you so quickly and even did the procedure so fast! You must have really good dental insurance or a really good dentist!

Michele said...

Yes, I was 'out' for the extractions....pretty neat how that worked! I never had any contact with this oral surgeon before, so I was surprised they took me so quickly. But, I'm guessing, this happens frequently in an office like this! Alyssa has gotten quite a kick out of the fact that I kept asking her questions and they had already told me all this information when she was brought back to pick me up. She finds it quite funny that I don't remember a word of what they said!