Wednesday, August 30, 2006

An Addiction....Sort Of....

Alyssa says it's in the genes....sometimes I wonder. She and I love stationery, pens, post-it notes, notebooks, pens, pencils, etc. Jamie can attest to my little problem...LOL...although she does get to enjoy the fruits of my addiction.

Each year before school starts, the kids hound me to go shopping for school supplies. And each year, they're never sure what exactly they will need. So they end up getting things they don't really need and don't get stuff they really should have had.

Well, this year, Alyssa decided that she was going to wait until the first day of school was over, so she had some idea of what supplies she really needed. I was proud of her for making this decision. She called me at the end of the day and commented that she wanted to go shopping tonite for the items she needed. She had a nice list prepared. I did have some concerns that there might be less of a selection, as I know that most kids don't wait this long to get their supplies.

So after supper, the kids and I were off to Staples. Well, imagine her surprise when we got there and they were sold out of a lot of items! She had pictures in her mind of pretty pink folders with green and brown polka dots, notebooks with kittens on the front, mini-Sharpies, etc. Instead, they had plain red and blue folders, no Sharpies and notebooks with nothing on the front! She was devastated! I almost thought she might start crying!

We proceeded to go to Walmart (worse than Staples) and then she begged to go to Wegman's (they were a little better than Walmart). She managed to get what she needed, but none of her purchases will be making any fashion statements. I'm sure it will serve the same purpose no matter what it looks like!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know it was so much easier in middle school when we received the list of needed supplies BEFORE school started. Jacob actually got his two weeks ago....earlier than I ever remember.

Jamie said...

that is a bummer!

and i have to comment that it is pretty bad when the doctor knows exactly who's desk to go to when he needs a particular pen/marker/etc/etc/etc...LOL

Michele said...

From Alyssa...
I really did want to cry so bad. You don't understand how much this stuff means to me. You might think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I had tears in my eyes and had to hold myself together. This is my senior year and everything has to be perfect; if one thing goes wrong like my notebooks everything else will fall apart.
Thank you for your time.

sajmom said...

It works just as well, plain or fancy......but she does have to look at the stuff pretty much every day for a long time! Just pointing out. I like the picture with that post though!