Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Boy Scout and His Mom


OK, so yesterday afternoon Adam and I went to an Eagle Scout ceremony for one of the guys in his troop. Each of the boys in the troop were participating in the ceremony in one way or another; Adam was in charge of sound and lighting. Minutes before we were ready to leave he comes downstairs with his scout shirt on and a pair of jean shorts. Now, in case you don't know anything about a Court of Honor for Eagle Scout, it's a big thing! Family and friends attend, one or two dignitaries might be there...it's nothing to wear jeans for. (Or so I thought...)

I try not to be too picky with the clothes that he wears. I was told a long time ago that you should learn to pick your battles, and in my mind, most times, that's not a battle worth fighting. There are times, however, when I expect him to dress appropriately. And this was one of those times. I told him that I felt shorts nor jeans were appropriate for this official ceremony and that he needed to change.

He came down a few minutes later with a pair of washed out jeans, that have small holes in the knees (which were actually purchased that way). I was so upset I couldn't even talk. I just walked out the door counting to 10....

As we were coming up the hill towards church, I was still fuming. I proceeded to tell him that he better hope there were other boys with jeans on, because if there weren't, he was going to be punished.

We pulled into the parking lot, the boys were all standing at the top of the steps and every single one of them had jeans on! And to top it off, Jane, one of the scoutmasters, had jeans on!! Arrggghhhh.....

Adam was quick to point this all out to me! In addition, he went up to Jane and thanked her for wearing jeans and told her the whole story, too!! I thanked her, as well....but not for wearing jeans...LOL!!

So Julie Harhart, PA State Representative, saw our boys all dressed up in their Sunday finest....NOT!!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

OMG this is too funny! we went to a baptism today and i made john change out of jeans and one of the kids helping with communion had jeans on, can u believe it!! he pointed it out to me right away of course!!!! i feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Still it's quite an honor-congratulations on that....I have trouble too and mine are still babies! Austin will want to wear sweats to church and a tie to school-go figure! Timmy, age 3, (if he had HIS way) would change twice a day! I hear from my sister (who has girls) that her daughterage 3, enjoys wearing her Jasmine costume (ith her little buddha belly sticking out, for all the world to see) to the grocery store-my sister lets her-but if my brother in law ever found out.....