Thursday, January 18, 2007

Nittany Proud

Alyssa received her acceptance letter today to Pennsylvania State University at University Park to begin in the summer session! This is exactly what she wanted-she is ecstatic and on cloud nine!

We really didn't expect the letter for another week or so, based on what the memo said on the web site. She saw the mail lady shoving a big envelope in the mailbox earlier today. Excitedly, she dropped everything, ran to the mailbox and ripped open the big white Penn State envelope!

Adam and I were out running some errands and were at Red Robin when my cell phone rang about 1230 p.m. It was Alyssa, she was crying, the connection wasn't the greatest and I couldn't understand what she was saying. I knew she had been out to lunch with her friends and I thought she was trying to tell me she had been in an accident! She was screaming so loud, Adam could hear her across the table. He, too, thought something terrible had happened. I kept saying, "Alyssa, are you OK? What happened?" She kept trying to tell me that she had been accepted to PSU and I still couldn't understand what she was saying! I could have sworn she was telling me that she hit a Grand Prix! I finally asked her to calm down and talk as clearly as she could.

She took a deep breath, calmed down and slowly proceeded to tell me she had been accepted to Penn State. At that point, I think everyone at Red Robin thought that I was nuts. I got a little crazy and then proceeded to begin crying! Even Adam was excited. In addition to not having just had an accident, she had just been accepted to the college and campus of her choice!

Minutes later, after we were off the phone, it hit me all of a sudden- OMG, I'm losing her and it's gonna be several weeks after graduation. Then I couldn't stop crying. Poor Adam was just sitting there, not knowing what to say or do.

These next few months are gonna fly by. After reviewing the packet that came, I found that the arrival date for the summer students is July 1, 2007 and classes begin July 3, 2007. That'll be here before we know it!

1 comment:

sajmom said...

Congrats to Alyssa and you!
That was a good story too! I loved the sentence: "In addition to not having just had an accident, she had just been accepted to the college and campus of her choice!"
You aren't really losing her! (but I know what you mean. I hope that day is a long time coming for me!)