Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Now That I'm Awake

I spent the last two evenings sound asleep with the computer sitting on my lap, with the full intention of blogging. It never happened...I'm getting too old for this college life! Between spending the entire day on Saturday on my feet practicing bells and then keeping up with the kids Friday night, Saturday night and a good portion of the day on Sunday, I was wiped when we got home Sunday evening. I took an hour nap on Sunday night, and last night I was out like a light from about 8:30 until 11 p.m.!!

We had a blast this weekend in State College. Let me start with the bell festival. We practiced from 9-12 noon and then 1-5 p.m. on Saturday; it was a long, tiring day, but very fruitful. My feet were killing me, though, by the end of the day! We then performed a concert for the public that evening. There were about 13 bell choirs participating. They bring in a nationally recognized bell conductor to direct us...this year's conductor was Tim Waugh from West Virginia. He shared with us that he had a kidney transplant about 2 years ago. As soon as Jamie and I heard that, we knew we had to go up to him and introduce ourselves, which we did after lunch. He told us about his transplant and how he is currently doing. It was a pleasure talking with him; and to top it off, he is an excellent clinician! I would guess there were probably about 150-200 people who attended the concert that evening. Alyssa and Adam were there, as well as Alyssa's friend, Kristin. In addition, our niece and nephew, Matt and Karlyn, were able to find a sitter and came, too!

At rehearsal on Saturday

At concert

We had about two hours in between practice and the concert; Jamie and I tried to figure out how to handle dinner and changing in that short period of time, in addition to picking up the kids. We decided to go change right away at the hotel (at which time, we couldn't get into the room, because the key had gotten de-activated because i had it in the same pocket as my cell phone...who knew?!?!?!). We finally got in the room, changed quickly, and then I dropped Jamie off at the Perkin's right in front of our hotel, where she would get us a table and order drinks right away, while I picked Alyssa, Adam and Kristin up. We got back to Perkin's where Jamie had our table with our drinks; we ordered our food at 5:50 p.m., and by 6:50 p.m. we were still waiting for our food! We needed to be back at the school where the concert was, by 7 p.m.!!! I had already spoken to one of the managers about fifteen minutes prior to that, and he said they were rushing our food. Well, by 6:50 we knew if we did, per chance, get our food, we would have to gulp it down, so we opted to leave. I explained to the other manager that we just couldn't wait any longer, and offered to pay for our drinks, which she told me not to worry about! We ended up going to Ruby Tuesday's after the concert and had so much more fun than if we had eaten at Perkin's and rushed to eat our food. We all probably would have had stomach aches!

Jamie, Kristin and Alyssa

Kristin, Alyssa and Adam

No comments: