Sunday, April 20, 2008

Green.....er......Brown Thumb

Most of you know I DO not have a green thumb! I can kill a cactus...quite easily, I might add! I have had tulips and daffodils planted in one small flower bed alongside one set of outside steps. I'm fairly certain there's some rule that every so many years, you are to dig the bulbs up....why or for how long, I have no clue. Well, I have never done that. I believe they have been planted there for at least 15 years, and I have never dug them up.

Over the years, the tulips overtook the daffodils and this particular bed no longer has any daffodils that come up, even though the green thingies (what are they called anyway?!?!?) come up. At least every year, there has been, eh, probably 20-25 tulips that have sprouted. Well this year, there's a load of green thingies, between the tulips and daffodils and a whopping TWO tulips! And the daffodils that have come up are in an area of the yard I never planted any! Go figure!

I figured I better take a couple of pictures this year, in case nothing comes up next year! (Aren't the few that I have, pretty, though?!?!?)

2 comments:

NoJo said...

I have a brown thumb, too. nice pics!

ADP said...

I think they're beautiful. And I think you're right about having to dig them up after so many years. And I have the same story--well, almost the same story. My daffodils come up every year and I love them they're so beautiful. And I believe I might have planted some tulip bulbs years ago but maybe they didn't come up cause I dug them up accidently? lol. Anyway, now I have hyacinths growing where I planted tulip bulbs and actually I like the hyacinths better than tulips. One of the great things about those kind of flowers is they come up all on their own every year.