Sunday, January 18, 2009

Winter Doldrums

It's been a boring week, nothing too exciting to report, but I'll try and come up with some new information:

+Alyssa and Sarah have signed a lease for an efficiency apartment for next year. They had one main pre-requisite in their search for housing for next year. They wanted to be able to walk to campus easily, and not have to take public transportation to get there. Somehow by the time they started looking, many apartments had already been taken. There were basically no 1 bedroom apartments available, which pretty much left them with looking for an efficiency. The way they looked at it, was that anything is better than what they currently have. The apartment they found has a living/bedroom area, kitchen and bathroom. It is basically right off campus and pretty much in the same area they have lived these last two years.

+Jamie has me, ehhh.....a little excited about coupon shopping. I cut out about 8 coupons today prior to grocery shopping and was only for items I already use. I shopped at Wegman's, as Jamie swears to me they have better prices than Giant, but it turned out several of the items I had coupons for, Wegman's didn't have! I found that odd, as they were fairly common items (Wisk laundry detergent, Snuggle fabric softener, individual Bounty paper towels). So off to Giant I went....I got those items, plus a few other things, including a BOGO boneless pork roast. I kept one and gave the other one to mom.

+Adam and Erika celebrate their SIX month anniversary tomorrow. It's pretty funny, cuz they have done something every month on the 19th since they started dating in July. If Kurt and I were to do that for our marriage, we'd be broke by now! (Although we may end up that way, as Adam has no income...so we're basically taking them out to dinner...LOL!!)

+We paid $1.16 for gas this evening at Giant with my bonus card and gas discount of 60 cents. Sweet! We put 23 gallons in my Trailblazer and brought along a 5 gallon gas can and filled that up while we were at it. Kurt was quite discouraged when he checked my gas mileage on the TB and it was 13.8 mpg....YUCK!

+Are any of you tired of this cold, snowy weather yet like I am?!!? I'm ready for Spring.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

glad someone else realizes the fun of coupons! hehe! the only thing that's bad is when the paper only has one coupon flyer...what a bummer! if i wasn't broke i'd be out at michael's getting a coupon organizer...seeing as how i'm obsessed with organizing right now! but plastic baggies and paper clips will have to do for now =)

Karen Petersen Pasquel said...

can't wait to see the apartment!
Coupons-I live for them and I even have a cool organizer (from Walmart) nothing flashing, but it works-I've even got Ray trained he says "Do we have a coupon for this?"

Fiona said...

OK Michele - how can you have been a Geiger this long and NOT used coupons! I stopped in rebellion after 10 years ;-) If figure the simple joy and delight of being a rebel is worth what I'm not saving!!

Love the sound of the apartment! Glad my car is not the worst gas guzzler in the family!

Crazy week at work again, so apologies for not replying to your email.

Anonymous said...

I love the snow but am tired of sweeping it off my many, many steps each and every day. Can't we do "once and done".

Michele said...

I have attempted using coupons on occasion in the last 24 years; but the urge generally doesn't last long! We'll see how long it lasts this time.....

I get annoyed that so many of them make you buy two of something to get a mere 50 cents off. Maybe I didn't want two of them!!

Sue said...

Michele, I agree with you. I have tried in the 35 yrs of marriage to use coupons, but to me , what I need or use there are usually NO coupons for. :(

I hate that when you do get a coupon that you can use it is for more than one item. I don't have a lot of storage room, so buying 2 or 3 of something isn't worth it to me. But I'll look again in my paper to see if there is some coupons I can use. I don't think I quite as wise as Jamie is, when it comes to grocery shopping. She has the knack for saving money and that's a good thing too, especially in todays world.