Saturday, January 03, 2009

It's Not Perfect....

But it'll do for now!!

It's been over a year since Adam moved his bedroom down into the basement. My intent was to turn his old room into a sort of guest room. I've had the room mostly cleaned out for about a year now (key word = mostly), but never got any further than that.

At one point, I even suggested we just turn the room into the storage area for the thousands (and thousands) of car magazines we have in this house. Kurt hasn't thrown one car magazine away since we got married 24 years ago and has no intentions of ever throwing any away. We have magazines everywhere....basement, living room, living room closet, bedroom, computer room, attic, etc. I thought, gee, we could keep them all in one place and they would be behind closed doors....perfect!

Well, that never happened and in the meantime, we found out that we are going to have a guest on Monday night. Alyssa is going to be babysitting for the DiscipleMakers staff conference that begins Tuesday next week at a retreat center about an hour away from here. There is a girl who attends Shippensburg University who will be sitting, as well. She is getting a ride from one of the DM staffers on Monday, but is unable to stay at the retreat center on Monday night, thus Alyssa was asked if this girl could stay at our house and then go with Alyssa on Tuesday.

Since we have never met her, I thought it would be nice if we could give her some privacy, as opposed to her having to sleep on the floor in Alyssa's room, or on the futon in our computer room, which is at the top of our steps and is totally open.

So today I finished cleaning up the room, Kurt laid the area rug we had gotten at Ollie's, we moved the futon in the room and added a few extra touches. We're certainly not done....Adam totally ruined the walls and ceiling. He put nails, screws, sticky tack, etc. everywhere. Eventually we hope to paint the walls and try and clean up the ceiling, but for now, it'll do.....



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the room. Looks nice! Now, if I ever have to stay there again, I can have some privacy.

Sue said...

A job well done! Looks nice, that is what I have to do to my back bedroom. My oldest son is moving back for about a month and he said he will clean it out for me, so hopefully that will happen, while he is here with him working 2 jobs. Who knows.

Jamie said...

who's anonymous?

i like it! (especially since green is my fav color!)

neat how the rug covers almost the entire floor...i bet i wouldn't have noticed it wasn't traditional carpet...

karlyn said...

that is really sweet of you to do this for her, i don't know her either but i'm grateful for her coming to watch the little ones. thanks for being a hostess to strangers! love, karlyn for all of us
"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:2

Karen Petersen Pasquel said...

I like the verse karlyn included -how true... we should all be so open in our hearts. The room looks great too! If you do decide to paint (paneling, that's what's there right?) let me know-we did it once (awful smell) but it looked great!

Fiona said...

Love the room, looks great! Maybe you could paper the walls with the car magazines - kill two birds with one stone ;-)

BTW - Thanks - about half of those magazines would have been in my house if Chris hadn't passed them on to Kurt! You knwo it is a cardinal sin to dispose of a car magazine but passing it on to you brother is just fine !

And thanks for the Card and twitter greetings - so glad everyone now knows how old I am ;-)

But then compared to all my sisters in law I am but a spring chicken - Hee Hee

Did you see my Not Me Monday post? I finally did it!! Don't you dare tell Mother about the ooffee!!

Michele said...

I have no clue who anonymous is, I hope they identify themselves before they sleep at our house...LOL! (I suspect it may be my mother, although every time she comments, she seems to comment differently!)

Thanks for all the compliments on the room, it needs some more work, but for now, it looks fine.

Fiona, what a terrific idea to wallpaper the room with magazines. You're the best! Not. And, yeah, please thank your loving husband for all those magazines he shares with my husband. They generally sit on the kitchen counter for months and months (and months, and more months...LOL!).

It was a pleasure to wish you a happy 40th...did I mention 40? At least it wasn't 50 (it wasn't, was it?)

Fiona said...

Yeah Yeah ONLY 40!

And tell your daughter her comment made my day and I love her tons!!