Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Creamy Sausage and Potatoes

I found this recipe in the new crockpot recipe book I got for Alyssa, but am keeping for her til she needs it. I like using the crockpot, but have always complained that some recipes don't need to cook for as long as I would have my crockpot on for, i.e. I leave for work at 8:30 and don't get home often til 6 pm or later. That has the meal cooking for over 9 hours, and most don't need to be cooked for that long. Jamie kept suggesting that I purchase a timer, which I could set to turn on later in the morning and then the recipe could cook for as long as suggested. I finally got around to doing that (Thanks, Jamie, for the suggestion), and using the timer for the first time today with this recipe. Well.....

I had Adam set the timer to begin the crockpot cooking on low at 11 am this morning and end at 6 pm tonite. I made sure the crockpot was set on LOW before I left for work. The recipe suggests that if you are home it be stirred one time in the middle of cooking. Fortunately for me (but not so much for her), my mom stopped by to do her wash, as her washing machine is currently not working. I had left a note for her to stir the food in the crockpot once while she was here. She called me around 2:45 asking why she was to stir it, as the crockpot WASN'T EVEN ON!!! I was livid!

I did some quick thinking and decided 4-5 hours on high is probably about the same as 6-8 hours on low. I had her take the crockpot off the timer, plug it straight into the wall and turn it on high. I didn't rush home from work (I couldn't have anyway...LOL!), and by the time we were ready to eat at about 7:45, it was cooked thoroughly.

1 can cream of celery soup, 8 oz. cream cheese, 1 packet dry Hidden Valley ranch dressing, beat together (I made a double recipe, so used two of everything. Also, I used light cream cheese, and could have used low fat cream of celery soup, too, but didn't.)

3 lbs small red potatoes, halved, not peeled (That's a 1 and 1/2 pound bag and I used two bags, it was plenty for a double recipe)

1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced (I used 2 lbs)

Mix together, cook on low 6-8 hours. Stir midway through if possible.

Final product

Final verdict: THUMBS UP!! It was delicious! (The only thing I would change is that it was a bit on the salty side. Even Kurt, who salts all his food, agreed. I would definitely make this again, and would definitely double the recipe again, but I think I would only use ONE packet of the Hidden Valley ranch dressing, which I think contributed to the saltiness.)

Oh, yeah, and the other thing I'd change is to be sure the timer is working....



4 comments:

Jamie said...

but did you figure out why the timer didn't work?

Sue said...

I would never even thought of putting the slow cooker on a timer. I'm sure some people do because of the hours they work and the length of time it has to cook, so as to not over cook the recipe. Neat idea! Maybe next time it will work better for you. I think I would try the timer on a day you will be home to make sure it is working properly, so not to have this happen again for you.

Michele said...

Yeah, that would be a good idea...who woulda' thought it wasn't gonna work...LOL!!

Karen Petersen Pasquel said...

I actually used to put my crock pot on a timer (when I was single I made a lot of soup), but would be gone for long hours like you and found the timer to be a great solution...just test it prior to using it with a lamp, it does work great. Glad the food still turned out good though.