Saturday, November 29, 2008

Youth Lock In

Alyssa needs 80 hours of volunteer time for her major. Her hours must involve youth of secondary age level and half must be with students who are of a different background than her, either ethnically, socially, economically or physically. She has been tutoring a high school student at State College High School in geometry and next month will begin tutoring two students in Spanish 2, both of which count towards her hours.

She decided to do a youth lock-in at church which would give her 12-14 hours. This was the first she's been home since the semester started, so this was the first opportunity she had to hold the lock-in. As I write this, it is 3 am and I am here with her (yawn....). There are nine youth here from 8th and 9th grade (I'm soooo glad my children are beyond that...LOL!!).

It's been an exciting night...Alyssa showed Chronicles of Narnia and after the movie they discussed the biblical references in the movie. We then made cut-out Christmas cookies and decorated them. In between they played Apples to Apples, Mad Gab and Charades. Currently there's a group of them playing Truth or Dare (which makes me a bit nervous!!) in the hallway....and they are wide awake...woohoo!!

We made a combination of cut-outs, oatmeal chocolate chips and peanut butter chip cookies. We made enough to 'sell' after our three services on Sunday morning. We are packaging one of each type of cookie in a small ziploc bag and asking people to make a donation towards our national youth gathering which about a dozen of our teenagers are going to in New Orleans next summer. They are trying to raise about $13,000...this won't be much towards that, but I suppose any little bit will help!

As I finish this post, they are finally winding down, and have all laid down in their sleeping bags on the floor in our downstairs parlor. My mom who is here with me, has just laid her head down on the table and should be out momentarily...and here I sit! It is now almost 3:30 in the morning....I guess I'll lay my head down, too.....zzzzzzzzzzzz.......








2 comments:

Sue said...

Looks like a fun and tiring night. Looks like the kids all had fun making the nice looking cookies. I remember my days in youth group at my old church when I was young.

Jamie said...

the cookies look divine! i'm just worried about that hard floor! ouch!