Friday, April 17, 2009

Reflections

Mom and I took a road trip yesterday to visit an old friend. I don't know why, because I've been back to Tower City several times in the past few years, but for some reason yesterday all kinds of memories flooded back while driving through town. We moved there when I was starting 5th grade and I lived there til I graduated in '77. I have fond memories of my time there, but never had any desire to return there after graduating from nursing school. I really haven't kept in touch with too many people from TC other than a couple friends from high school and our former pastor and his wife. I recently managed to hook up with a couple high school classmates on Facebook, who I haven't seen since graduation!

Here's where I graduated from high school:


*All the girl's basketball games that I served as manager for the team. The championships won. The announcements made before every home game. The Star-Spangled Banner played prior to each game by holding the mike up to the 33 record speaker...LOL!!

*The enjoyment I got from serving as a library aide

*The teasing I took for the nicknames I was given over the years

*Going to the roller skating rink for gym class and failing miserably on skates

*Absolutely hating gymnastics during gym class....horse, parallel bars, ropes, rings....YUCK!!

*Having a crush on my health teacher

*Loving photography and the blackroom

*Stuffing an opossum in biology

*Being inducted into the National Honor Society my senior year

*My first embroidery project in 7th grade (a crewel in which I embroidered the saying Make Love, Not War....LOL!!!)

*Graduating class of 129

See this area where the trailer sits? Our house used to sit on this property, until it went up in flames on New Year's Eve in 1983.

*Having my step-sister and step-brother live with us at one point

*Fun with close friends: sleep-overs in their pop-up camper, having seances and bringing back George Washington (LOL!), going roller skating on Friday nights (I just watched), hiking up the mountain behind our house and having cook-outs on the old rail road tracks, throwing corn on Halloween and having rock salt shot at us, Girl Scouts, youth group events, dipping toast in hot chocolate

*Gretchen (our sweet miniature schnauzer who was lost in the fire)

*Eating mountain oysters (don't ask.)

*Getting pizza from Mione's...yum.

*Three channels on the TV, that had to be changed by hand...there were no remotes

*Getting our first microwave

*Betty falling down the steps in her high heels

*No shower

*Fishing with dad (This is the Clarks Valley Dam, we spent many a morning there and in creeks surrounding the dam)


This was our church:


*Youth group events

*Annual Birthday Party

*George and Carol, our Youth Group advisors

*Singing in the choir

*Preaching a sermon that one year (I got tons of help from Pastor Sonnenberg...LOL!)

*Being confirmed by Pastor Cloughen

*Babysitting for Linsy and Art's two little ones (who are now in their 30's I might add!)

This is the rear of the sportswear factory that mom and dad owned....Pridia Blouse:


*The rickety old elevator I rode up and down in many, many times

*Feeling like I lived there some days

*All the wonderful women that worked there

*The air-conditioner in the office (and lack of it in the rest of the building!)

*Gloria

*Working in the finishing department, attaching the tags with those pellet guns, piece-rate

*The soda machine and snack box (see below...I can't believe this company still exists...I don't believe I have seen these since I left TC in 1977. I found these at the grocery store mom and I stopped at yesterday on our way home. They were $0.69 per piece...if I recall correctly they used to be $0.25 each.)

And finally, the personality that came from Tower City (enlarge it to read it better):

Ahhh...memories.....I'm sure there's many I missed, but this is a good start!

9 comments:

Sue said...

Michele where is Tower City?

It is sometimes very nice to recall those fond memories of our childhood. Looks like a nice town.

Sue said...

I saw where that Club Sandwich was made from. I have family in Pottsville, Pa. Old cities there and beautiful country.

Is that where Tower City is, near Pottsville?

sajmom said...

Really neat post! You got to go to a roller skating rink for gym!! Lucky! We got stupid stuff like Richard Simmons excersize tapes and country line dancing! I would have loved a roller skating rink!! LOL at the embroidery project! And LOL at the person you chose to bring back being George Washington! : )

Michele said...

Yes, Tower City is about 20 minutes west of Pottsville. Other nearby towns include Tremont, Pine Grove, Valley View, Lykens, Williamstown. Maybe you have heard of some of them. It is on the very edge of Schuylkill County. In fact, the high school I attended was actually just over the border into Dauphin County.

Jamie said...

neat michele!

Jamie said...

i don't get the george washington thing...

Karen Petersen Pasquel said...

Thanks for sharing, it was very interesting! I remember 3 channels and no remote-I also remember what a BIG deal it was to get cable! I had no idea your house had a fire-that must have been very difficult-you are a strong person!

Michele said...

I was already out of the house when it burned down in '83. I was living in Lehighton and working in the ICU at Allentown Hospital. That didn't make it a whole lot easier, but fortunately I didn't lose a lot of my stuff. My parents moved in with me for a while and eventually bought a mobile home nearby and ended up relocating to the Lehigh Valley.

Mom said...

Having seen you take the pix, I chose to seek out your blog on my return from PSU----very tired. Now, I am not only depressed having left Alyssa but then sitting here and reading your "memories" has me here crying. The whole thing is very neat, Michele! I wish that everyone that we knew in TC could see it. Thank you for bringing back all those memories. Great job!