Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Saggy Boobs

Alyssa was sooo excited last month when she received her letter from dance that they had located a place so that dance classes could continue. She wanted to take a teen tap class one night and a teen ballet class another night. It turned out that none of the teens she has danced with for years came back; most all have transferred to other dance studios. As a result, neither of the classes she wanted are being offered as she is the only student for both of them. She could have gone into a Monday night class, but she already has another commitment at church.

The director of the studio offered Alyssa the option of attending the adult tap class. She attended her first class this evening. It's a nice small class....she makes the 4th student...

Her and the three 50 year olds!!!!!

I drove her to her first class to be sure that she knew how to get there since it is in a different location. When I picked her up, she jumped right in telling me all about class. I don't remember when she seemed as excited about class as she was tonite!! I can just picture her there amongst these three peri-menopausal beginner tap dancers! One of the women never did tap at all. Alyssa has been doing tap for thirteen years!!

One woman was complaining about how far apart her bra straps were and how they wouldn't stay up. The discussion soon turned to saggy boobs and when they become that way. Next the conversation changed to hot flashes. Then they decided they should meet at Applebee's for a drink before class! As Alyssa was telling me all this, I had such a funny picture in my mind of her in the center of these middle aged women.

At one point, the instructor asked the women to tap dance down the floor doing a particular tap step. For some of the women, this was a new step to them. They took their time going down the floor trying to get it right. Alyssa, on the other hand, practically flew from one end to the other! They were in awe of her. The lady who never tapped before just couldn't seem to get the step right. Alyssa put her previous teaching skills to good use. She said, "Mom, I taught her how to do the step just like I used to teach my little girls."

When class was over, one of the women came up to her and said, "I hope you plan on coming back next week!" Alyssa said, "I wouldn't miss it for the world!"
She realizes she is definitely more advanced than any of them, but she says she will take this opportunity to improve and perfect her steps. I suspect these women will adopt her as their own. And I supposed she'll learn a whole lot more about hot flashes and saggy boobs.....

We'll be in real trouble when she tells me she's leaving early to meet them at Applebee's.....

4 comments:

Jamie said...

oh my gosh that is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good for alyssa :-)

and i must add that i was a little nervous when the title for this post was on my homepage...i feel better now, i think?

Anonymous said...

I was in stitches as I read this. I'm sure Alyssa will receive quite an education on aging women's ailments in addition to her tap skills.

Anonymous said...

I was all ecited seeing my favorite-The cat in the hat-but knowing LAyssag I know she'll love her class and be the radient inspiration they old fogies might need (I shouldn't even say that since she probably thinks I'm one of the old farts!) Gosh......... I miss dance!

Anonymous said...

sorry my keyboard keeps sticking!