Saturday, September 09, 2006

1 hr, 47 mins, 23 secs

That's how long Vickie and I talked on the phone tonite. It was wonderful! She and I have been friends since our days in ICU at The Allentown Hospital in the early 80's. She was in my wedding; I went through her pregnancies with her and she with mine. She and her family moved to Indiana in '96; it's hard to believe she's been gone for ten years. I think we've seen each other twice since then. About seven years ago, Alyssa and I met her in Pittsburgh for the weekend. We shopped and talked, talked and shopped and then shopped some more! That was the last time we were together.

Today I got a birthday card from her; what a surprise it was! You see, my birthday is in May!! Vic believes in half-birthdays! The really ironic part was that earlier today when Alyssa and I were out, I bought her birthday card; her birthday is later this month. I try to stay on time with the real birthday. I know, I know...it's not as much fun that way...it's too predictable...LOL!!

Vic taught me how to be a professional shopper. She and her sister and I once spent twelve hours shopping and all we were looking for was a nice white t-shirt for Vickie. She assured me today that our time had not been wasted...she said she still wears that shirt from time to time.

It's funny...we rarely talk any more; sometimes six months go by before we talk on the phone, but when we do, before the conversation is over, I feel like I'm right there with her. We catch up on each other's families, our jobs, our animals, what books we're reading, what movies we're watching and everything in between.

I just wish Indiana wasn't 14 hours away.....

No comments: