Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Pizza Casserole

Saw this recipe on Facebook yesterday, thought I'd pick up the ingredients today and try it.  We liked it pretty well, I'd make it again.  And the nice thing is that it made a 9x13, which means there's leftovers for a night that I work and don't get home until after when most people have already eaten and are settling in for the night :-(

Ingredients:


 Bottom Layer:
(cooked noodles, cooked ground sausage, spaghetti sauce)


Next layer:
(cottage cheese, mushroom, mozzarella cheese)


Top layer:
(pepperoni)


Finished product:


Yum!


16 oz box Rotini
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
24 oz. jar pasta sauce
16 oz. container cottage cheese
1- 2 1/4 ounce can sliced black olives, drained (optional)
4 oz. can mushrooms, drained (I used 8 oz can)
12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
6 oz. sliced pepperoni

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x13 pan.

Cook pasta until al dente.

Cook sausage over medium heat until browned, drain.  Add pasta and sauce.  Pour into 9x13 pan.

In a bowl, mix the cottage cheese, olives, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese.

Spoon the cheese mixture over the sausage and pasta mixture.  Top with pepperoni slices.

Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven.

(I covered the pan with aluminum foil, and at about 20 minutes, I took the foil off, and added a bit more cheese and some extra pepperoni.  I cooked it an additional 10 minutes to allow it to brown a bit.  I also did not add the black olives as Kurt is not crazy about them.)

No comments: