Saturday, February 28, 2009

Rockathon!

As I write this, Adam is with a group of young people from our church at a 24 hour rockathon to raise money for a trip they are taking in July to New Orleans, LA. They will be joining 30,000 other teens at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's National Youth Gathering.

I was there from about 1030 this am, when it started, til about 1 pm. I helped serve them lunch of chili, bbq hot dogs and pierogies. They get a 10 min break every two hours to potty, stretch, or whatever. Tonite for supper they were having baked ziti, bbq and macaroni and cheese. Tomorrow for breakfast they'll have eggs, pancakes and sausage. There's a ton of snacks there: cookies, chips, pretzels, crackers, celery and peanut butter, veggies and dip, popcorn, cupcakes, fresh fruit, etc. There's a bunch of board games for them, a TV/DVD to watch movies (there must have been 20 different movies that kids brought), another TV there for the gaming systems (when we stopped by on our way to supper they were playing Guitar Hero). Kids brought their homework, some brought books, Adam tried to bring my Kindle (that's where I drew the line...LOL!!)

You'll see in the pics that Adam took our rocker/recliner...which I'm sure is more comfortable than a standard rocking chair, but I suspect he'll be struggling a bit more at about 3 or 4 am trying to stay awake!!





3 comments:

Sue said...

Michele, that looks just like Chuck's rocker recliner. His is a lazy boy and has heat and massage in the seat and back. Does yours?

I would do great at one of those outings because that is why we've invested in lazy boy rockers because of their lifetime warranty they have with their product. I have one and Chuck has one. Mine is a big overstuffed one, maroon in color. I rock so hard that I break them. Mine is waiting to get fixed for the third time in about 5 years. Thank goodness for the warranty because all I pay is them to come out. The materials are free, but the labor is around $95.00. I think it is worth the money, since the chairs are about 15 years old. When we bought them they were bogo free. I think I rather pay that money than to buy a new one for hundreds more.

How did they all do? How much money was raised for the cause? I always enjoyed my youth group when I was a teen.

Michele said...

Obviously looking at that last pic, you can tell that the chair is used hard. Kurt refuses to replace any of our furniture until Mr. Adam learns to treat it better!

Sue said...

I don't blame him a bit on replacing it. We waited to our boys were grown too before we invested in new furniture. Now, the doggies are wearing on it and making it look lived in, LOL.