Saturday, November 10, 2007

Go Fish

Kurt and I got dinner tonite on our way to pick up Adam at the boy scout camp he was at today. We've eaten at the Covered Bridge Inn before, but I believe the last time we were there was before kids! It has changed ownership several times since then. We didn't quite know what to expect, but decided to give it a shot.

There was a wide variety on the menu, although it seemed fairly expensive for being out in the boonies! We both chose entrees from the daily specials. Kurt order pork tenderloins in a brandy apple cream sauce ($17.95) and I picked a crusted scored flounder with a chilean sweet chili sauce ($18.95). I debated between that and the crabcakes, but was afraid I might find shells in the crabcakes, and that totally turns me off from the first shell I find. Since I had just had crabcakes at the Blue on Tuesday night at the Renal Biopsy dinner, I decided to try the flounder.

Entrees came with a nice tossed salad, potato (I chose baked...and let me tell you...it was HUGE!), and vegetable of the day (sauteed fresh zucchini, squash, broccoli, carrots). Imagine my surprise when my plate came with a whole flounder on it...tail and all! Fortunately, they had cut the head off...I may have had issues if there were eyes looking at me!!

Now, this was NOT what I was expecting! I was kinda figuring it was gonna be a filet of flounder. I was totally disappointed...I don't do whole fish any more! I took a bite, and proceeded to pull about ten bones out of my mouth. And I was worried about a few shells in the crabcake...HA! Idiot!

Kurt was just staring at me...probably thinking, 'Thank God I didn't order that!!' I stopped and took stock of everything. All of a sudden it hit me...I needed to filet the fish off the backbone...maybe then it would be ok. I told Kurt my plan, and he agreed that was probably what was needed. I proceeded to eat the one side of the fish, turned it over, and ate the other side and didn't end up with another bone!

Looking back, it was very well prepared, the crust on the fish was delicious and the sauce was both sweet and spicy. It was quite tasty; thank goodness I didn't get any more bones, or I would have never finished it.

Most of the entrees came with some type of sauce on them...I said to Kurt I wondered if the chef is some Food Network 'wannabe', but hasn't quite made it into the limelight! It just seemed odd to have these fancy entrees at this bar/restaurant out in the boondocks!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

1. ew.
2. ew!
3. see number 1 & 2