Sunday, March 11, 2007

Anemia

I wonder how many phone calls we will be getting from patients about this article?!?!? We use this medication a lot in our office to treat the anemia of chronic kidney disease. Prior to the approval of this medication in 1984, patient's anemia in the dialysis population was treated by multiple (and I do mean, multiple) blood transfusions. I consider Procrit one of the best things that has happened in the dialysis world. I would much rather receive a subcutaneous injection a few times a month as opposed to blood transfusions every time I turn around.

1 comment:

sajmom said...

I would say the info in the article is important to know, but might not change one's decision to use the medication. My grandmother is on dialysis and I think at her age and after years of the pain of dialysis, I think would choose to accept the risk rather than blood transfusions. A younger healthier person might not.