Sunday, March 10, 2013

Dorito Chicken Casserole

I found this recipe on Pinterest this past week.  It was YUMMY!!!  I have leftovers, we'll be having them tomorrow night.  I'm not sure how they'll turn out....I'm nervous about the Dorito chips and that they'll be really soggy by now....but we'll see!  As you can see, I served it with rice and a nice tossed salad.



2 cups cooked chicken (I bought a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and just cleaned the chicken off the bones)
1 cup shredded sharp or Mexican cheese (or more, if you really like cheese)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes (canned tomatoes with mild green jalapenos)
1/2 packet taco seasoning (or more, to taste)
1 bag of Doritos

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, except for Doritos.

In a greased 11x7 baking dish, put a layer of crushed Doritos (about 2 cups), followed by a layer of the chicken mixture.  Repeat once more (using another 2 cups of Doritos), ending with a layer of the chicken mixture.

Top with shredded cheese, cover and bake for 40-45 minutes til bubbly hot.  I took the foil off the last 10-15 minutes to brown the top of the casserole.

**I couldn't find the Ro-Tel tomatoes with jalapenos, they only had mild green chilies; my experience with them is that they generally aren't spicy, so I added about 1-2 Tbsp of Frank's Red Hot to the recipe.  It made it a bit spicier than Alyssa and Kurt liked; in the future, I'll either use less or none at all.  Maybe the combination of the tomatoes, the Doritos and the taco seasoning spices it up enough that I wouldn't even need to add the hot sauce at all.


This recipe was taken from this blog :)




No comments: