Thursday, July 10, 2008

Mid-Week Update

So, Adam's at camp, hopefully having a terrific week! It's been kinda hot and humid, which may have made the week a little yucky, but he is up in the Poconos, so maybe it's not quite so bad up there. We haven't heard from him at all, so don't have much to say about his week.

Alyssa started her new job on Monday. She started the week out working four hours per day, but as the week has gone on, she has worked her way up a few extra hours beyond that. Next week, I think she'll be working more full time hours. She seems to be really excited about the job; she's been learning all kinds of new and interesting things. In addition to the new job, she's been helping Uncle Chris out with the kids so he can get some work done around their house. So she leaves her 'real' job, and heads off to help him.

I'm trying a new recipe tonite, one that Jamie and I found on the internet at work the other day (shhh, don't tell anyone...LOL!). It's an easy beef stroganoff dish. She made it last night and said it was delish; I knew then that I needed to try it! I'll let you know how it is. As I sit here blogging, I'm listening to a news story on the TV about how cold the water is at the beach this summer thus far. The reporter is standing on the beach at Beach Haven (which is on Long Beach Island....our favorite place to go!!) where the water temp is only 55 degrees on the 10th of July!! She explained that the winds have been blowing from the southwest, which in turn moves the warmer water out to sea, allowing the cool water to move up from the ocean floor. I can't even imagine swimming in water in the 50's!

My big excitement for the week was my Wendy's cup that I got yesterday! I have been waiting for them to come out for weeks!! The cup benefits the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption. It is plastic, re-usable and this year they come in blue or purple. Last year they were orange. I love to make iced tea in it in the morning before work, add lots of ice, then take it to work and sip on it all day long! Check 'em out...maybe you'll decide to get one, too!

Finally, I do not have a green thumb...mine's more like black! I have a spot to hang one hanging basket right outside the main door we go in and out of the house. I learned a few years ago, to go to the nursery and ask for a plant that tolerates the morning/afternoon sun and doesn't need a lot of water (when I forget to water it all the time...LOL!!). The last two years they directed me towards a portulaca plant. This year when I went, a young woman helped me and showed me a different hanging basket (I have no clue what the plant is/was...hint, hint...LOL!) and assured me it was exactly what I was looking for. It was pretty with purple flowers; I figured I'd give it a try. Well....let me tell you....if it didn't get watered every day, it was not happy!! I finally gave up! Today I went back to the nursery and talked to the guy that owns the place, explained what I was looking for....and lo and behold, what does he recommend?!!? A portulaca! He then proceeded to tell me that the first hanging basket was $14.99 and second one was $.01. Well, heck, I didn't want TWO!! But I couldn't not get two, when the second one was only a penny! Geesh.....now there's TWO to keep alive!

Oh, and BTW, I passed my CPR on Wednesday...that's done for another two years! Man, I hate doing that...I've been doing CPR recertifications since 1980 and I still get nervous!

Oh, yeah, and then there's Kurt.....Kurt, who?!!?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL

Sue said...

Anything new with Kurt? We haven't heard you mention he lately, so what's he been up too.

I'm glad your daughter seems to like her job, it's nice to go to work when you like your job.