Thursday, March 03, 2011

Easy Chicken & Dumplings

(And I do mean EASY....)

I found this recipe in my Taste of Home magazine. I've never made dumplings before, but I think they must have been the easiest in the world to make :) It says it costs $1.04 per serving.

I doubled the recipe, but since it ended up only being Kurt and I eating it, I could have just made a single batch. I have enough leftovers for me and Jamie for lunch tomorrow, plus one additional serving.

The dumplings part of the recipe calls for french fried onion rings and I'm not sure that I even really tasted them, so I'd almost be tempted to leave them out the next time. See the ingredients below:


This is just after I added the dumplings by heaping teaspoonful into the pot. I doubled the dumpling part of the recipe, but I think I probably should have just made a single batch. I had double of the batter but still only had the one size pot and could only fit the same amount of dumplings in the pot. Plus the dumplings grew as they cooked :) I ended up throwing some of the batter away.

Finished product! It was quite good and I'll probably make it again.

Recipe (Singled):

1- 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%, it calls for 2%)
1- 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (a whole bag = 3 cups)
2- 1/2 cups shredded or cubed cooked chicken (I used 3 breasts for a double recipe)
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning

Dumplings:

1 cup Bisquick
1/3 cup french fried onions, coarsely chopped (Wegman's brand is actually in pieces)
7 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes (oops, forgot 'em)

In a Dutch oven, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the biscuit mix, onions, milk and parsley just until moistened. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Cover and simmer 10-12 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean. Do not lift the cover while simmering.





No comments: