Friday, October 01, 2010

That's A Lot of Rain!

The official rainfall total at the Lehigh Valley International Airport was 8.05 inches. The radio station I listen to has a group of people called the Rain Gaugers that call in the amount of rain they had in their back yard. This morning I heard anything from 7 inches to over 9 inches in the last 24-36 hours. We have a creek (and I use that term loosely) that often dries up in the summer. With the lack of rain over the last several months, it dried up much earlier than usual. As you can see in the pictures, it now looks like a roaring river :)



I took the back way to work this morning not even thinking that I would be driving along the Bushkill Creek that tends to overflow its banks very easily. It's not unusual that the road is actually closed; I was certain as I saw a long line of traffic coming towards me that they had turned around because the road was closed! I was quite surprised to find that the road was actually not closed!

There were plenty of photo ops, but I really didn't have the time to stop for long, plus there was traffic all over the place. I took these pictures right by the entrance to the now closed Bushkill Park. If you enlarge the first picture, you can actually see the Bushkill Park sign....that's not usually under water!

The last picture was taken from the bridge I was on...there was actually rapids right at the bridge, as the water was all the way up to the bridge and couldn't all pass under it. Again, had I had more time, I could have taken better pictures.





No comments: